Saturday, October 4, 2008

Thirst

For some reason I've been thinking about when Christ was thirsty on the cross. It's been emblazoned in my mind this week. John 19:28 "After this, Jesus knowing that all things were now accomplished, that the scripture might be fulfilled, saith, I thirst." Jesus knew that was the last thing He had to do. and in verse 29-30 "A jar of wine vinegar was there, so they soaked a sponge in it, put the sponge on a stalk of the hyssop plant, and lifted it to Jesus' lips. When he had received the drink, Jesus said, "It is finished." With that, he bowed his head and gave up his spirit." I think His thirst went deeper than the physical need for water. With all his strength, with all His being, I believe He was saying "I thirst for you." In many places in the Bible it talks about people thirsting after God. But I believe He thirsts for us more. The dictionary says "the physical condition resulting from this need, in any of various degrees, especially for water; strong or eager desire; craving. Even more than we could ever thirst for Him, He thirsts for us. They gave him vinegar and gall. What are you giving Him?

No comments: