Thursday, July 30, 2009

Daniel

As I went to teach my morning class today, I parked and was getting ready to get out of the car when a long-haired man came up to my window. He asked me if I knew what time they gave out groceries. He was wearing a Marine cap and obviously a Vet. Well, today wasn't grocery day, so I asked him what he needed. He told me he just needed some groceries and had ridden the bus across town to get some. I started making phone calls and made arrangements for him to ride the bus to my church and get some food, but something in his face said, more than anything, he needed to know someone cared. By this time, one of the volunteers had arrived and she gave him some change and some snacks out of her car. I got out and gave him directions to the church and asked him if he was ok. I gave him a few dollars for bus fare. We talked for a little bit and he got very teary-eyed, which made me teary-eyed. I asked him if he knew my best friend Jesus, and he said he did. I asked him if I could have the privilege of praying for him, and he said yes. So there in the parking lot of a little church in Eastridge, we held hands and prayed. When finished, he had tears streaming by then and reached out to give me hug. By this time, most of the refugees had arrived and were surrounding us in the parking lot. I don't know what they were thinking. All I know is, I felt a little closer to my Jesus while entering the Throne Room in a beat- up parking lot. Daniel, I pray you have had a hot meal tonight and a decent place to lay your head. And I continue to pray that you really do know my Jesus and you know how much He loves you. And I thank my heavenly father for letting me entertain a stranger today.
Hebrews 13
1Keep on loving each other as brothers. 2Do not forget to entertain strangers, for by so doing some people have entertained angels without knowing it. 3Remember those in prison as if you were their fellow prisoners, and those who are mistreated as if you yourselves were suffering.

No comments: